Supportive Family Law Guidance For LGBTQ+ Clients
The law addressing LGBTQ+ family matters changed dramatically in 2012 with the passing of Washington state’s marriage equality law. While this represented welcome progress, there still remain challenges and gray areas in the areas of divorce and separation. Our family law attorneys serve as supportive legal allies to address your concerns in a respectful, efficient and thorough manner.
At Meridian Family Law, we are proud supporters of the LGBTQ+ community and frequently work with clients who identify as members of this group. Because our attorneys focus exclusively on family law, and many of them practiced during the legal shift in 2012, our representation benefits you from a diverse and informed legal understanding of issues at play.
We are dedicated to providing a supportive and safe environment for our clients.
Here To Address All Of Your Family Law Concerns
- LGBTQ+ prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: These agreements often address finances, separate property, creating community property, spousal maintenance (alimony) and allocations upon death. These agreements help outline clear expectations and obligations.
- Domestic partnership/cohabitation agreements: We can help you craft a carefully tailored domestic partnership or cohabitation agreement that reflects your needs and desires.
- Divorce for LGBTQ+ couples: Our lawyers are familiar with all the nuances of Washington divorces for LGBTQ+ couples, including property division, high-asset divorce, spousal maintenance (alimony), child support and other issues. We also offer the Collaborative divorce option for couples seeking resolution outside of court processes.
- Parenting plans (child custody): We are highly skilled at helping clients develop workable residential schedules and fostering effective co-parenting arrangements, utilizing mediation as appropriate.
- Adoption: We work with LGBTQ+ clients to help them expand their families through the joyful milestone of adoption.
- Wills, estate plans and beneficiary designations: We can help ensure that you have an estate plan that leaves your assets to the people you designate and memorialize the people you select to make decisions for you if you are unable to do so or after you have passed on.